Thursday, February 3, 2011

Brusselsprouts.

Written in Brussels, Belgium. 6th of October, 2010.


Just landed in Belgium. not sure what to make of it just yet as it's difficult to gauge the vibe of a city from the airport terminal. We are now waiting for our shuttle bus to Brussels city, as we assumed we would be able to purchase our tickets on board like we're used to. However, that was not the case so we are waiting for the next shuttle. The weather is a bit milder than in Ireland, less windy, but still very cloudy. I hope it brightens up.


(later that evening)


So at first I was not a fan of the city and its vibe. It seemed just like any other city in the world with tall buildings and advertisements everywhere. However, as the day progressed and we finally were able to get into the lovely hostel we booked (which looks like a log cabin; with the wooden beams and stairs going up to the door to the room). Even the bathroom is nice, though the shower head is difficult to navigate at first. Once we settled we were able to relax downtown and explore. We step ten steps away from the front door and we are in the middle of the Grand Palace in Brussel's old city. Suddenly I was surrounded by the most beautiful architecture I've ever seen, built in the 1600s. Each building is so ornate that one could literally spend days studying it and still not notice everything. Maybe I'll try to notice everything. Maybe I'll try tomorrow. Also, today I tasted my first Belgium waffle from a street vendor while we watched the local children's drum corps perform on the street. They were incredible...and so was the waffle. before I leave I have to have a waffle with ice cream and chocolate on it. Speaking of chocolate... it is absolutely delicious here. We tried a few different places that gave us free samples. We stuffed ourselves with chocolate.


Written the 7th of October, 2010.


Today was very...full. The entire day. I've literally eaten so much chocolate that I don't know how I'm not in a sugar-induced coma by now. Apart from all the free samples of chocolate, I enjoyed a beautiful hot chocolate (chocolate chaud) at Cafe Tasse and not one Belgian waffle...but two. One for breakfast which consisted of the waffle with fresh bananas and chocolate sauce, the second with orange ice cream and of course, chocolate sauce (of course). I must have been one of the happiest girls in the world because of all the dark chocolate I consumed. It also could have been because of the most amazing architecture I have ever seen.


Walking through the streets of Belgium, especially at night, is an experience everyone should have. The restaurants set up tables outside on the cobblestone reaching out so far you can nearly touch the people sitting across the road at the opposite restaurant from you. Each of the restaurants and cafes have fires in them, warming the entire street. Fresh fish were being sold on the side of the road. There's no need to bundle up as each restaurant has open fires keeping everyone who walks by warm.


The flea market was amazing. Overwhelming, but really very cool. We couldn't even see the whole thing it was so expansive. I got a decorative collector's spoon for my grandmother there for two euro, I think she'll appreciate it. The nightlife in Brussels, from what I saw, was pretty relaxed, it doesn't seem like a very young city, that may be the reason why. This city is more for those who just want to relax and enjoy beautiful buildings, architecture and absolutely delectable chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment