I feel it necessary to share with you all some phrases that I've learned over the past few weeks in order for you to better understand what I'm talking about, as I'll probably unintentionally drop some of them throughout my posts just because it's what I'm used to now. Some of them are funny, some are rated PG-13, some make no sense at all, but that's the Irish way!
- Cheers = Thank you
- yoke = thing (i.e. "gimme that yoke over there")
- telly = television
- mam = mom
- take-away = to-go
- thanks a million! = thanks very much
- *Craic (pronounced 'crack') = good time (i.e. what's the craic?/where's the craic?)
- queue = line
- lift = elevator
- em = um
- ye = you
- me = my
- biscuits = crackers
- grand = great
- half (insert time) = (insert time) - thirty (i.e. "11:30" = "half-eleven")
- chicken fingers = chicken balls
- dear = expensive
- chips = french fries
- crisps = potato chips
- class = great ( i.e. that pizza was class)
- bollocks = shit
- shite = shit (mostly referring to when someone is joking around, they're "talkin' shite")
- boot = trunk of car
- hoover = vacuum
- toasties = grilled cheese sandwhich
- arse = ass
- getting the ride = sex
- score = to make out
- get the shift = (french) kissing
- fancy = to like
- sound = really nice/good
- pet = honey (or other terms of endearment)
- wrecked = wickid tired/drunk
- jumper = sweater
- runners = sneakers
- jumpered up = to have a sweater on
- module = class (lecture)
- c'mere ('come here') = tell me (i.e. "c'mere, what's wrong?)
- chemist = pharmacy
- put the chat on him/her = to hit on him/her
*Irish people find it hilarious when Americans hear this for the first time because they know our first thought is: "Crack?? Like...cocaine....???"
until later,
Suzy
Bullocks are testicles.
ReplyDeleteOk, you can go correct all the Irish people I've been living with for the past month and a half.
ReplyDeletehi Susan,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog. this brought back memories.
When I was I Ireland last, my kids were laughing at me because I seemed to slip right into the vernacular pretty fast. Growing up in my Family ...... that was the way we talked, learning from mam and da. Thank you keep it up Rita